Title says all. This is purely 100% out of curiosity and by no means meant to offend anyone. Problem is, I very rarely see 人外 used anywhere.

人外【じんがい】 is an uncommon and old-fashioned word. In fictional works, it typically refers to evil monsters, undeads, Japanese yokai, etc. You won't see this term often unless you're a fan of fantasy. Dictionaries say it also means "evil/wicked", but from my experience, it's rarely used in this sense. 外人 means a foreigner. 人外 is an anagram of 外人, but this is basically just a coincidence and you should not feel anything special here. There are many similar pairs in Japanese.

With that being said, there was a time (30 years ago or so, if I remember correctly) when 人外 was used jokingly as a slangy term for 外人. Wikipedia says this was a (sarcastic) reaction to the "外人 is derogatory" movement. No one is using 人外 in this sense anymore, and you can safely forget this trivial fact.

Technically speaking, 人外外人 — but not 外人人外 — might mean "foreigner who is no longer a human" or "highly immoral foreigner", but since 人外 itself is an uncommon word, I haven't seen something like this.

I think literally 外人 is "human from outside" and 人外 is "outside of human (=non-human)" – Andrew T. Apr 7 at 13:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.