In the sentence これは[本当]{ほんと}に[高]{たか}いです, meaning "This is really expensive", I'm having trouble understanding the meaning of に, which usually has some connotation of "to", "on", or "at".

This is a phrase presented in Memrise Japanese Level 3, and I'm trying to start understanding the grammatical sense of the phrases.

Adjectives can often be used 'adverbially' (though they are generally not analysed by Japanese grammarians as 副詞) by adding に rather than な or in this case の.

So in this case, if 本当 => true, then 本当に => truly or really? – Tim D Apr 5 at 15:35
    @TimD Yes, basically. – Aeon Akechi Apr 5 at 15:49

If you really wanted to force a preposition into an English translation of 本当に so that it made more sense, you could say the the に is equivalent to the 'In' in 'In reality'.

I thought of the exact same thing! Haha! By the way, welcome to Japanese Stack Exchange! :) – varun Apr 6 at 9:56

means "to."

e.g.) あなたに - To you

本当に - To the truth / I will hand this over the truth / truly

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.