If not, is there a structure that will grammatically allow for that? Like "I eat right, exercise, stay consistent about it, and yet I've lost no weight in weeks!"

Are you familiar with the ~たり... して method of listing items? – ajsmart Apr 5 at 13:00
  • A refresher on its function would be greatly appreciated – Roy Fuentes Apr 5 at 13:08
  • There are two questions here: (1) can you use the て-form several times and (2) is this what you need in your example? – Mathieu Bouville Apr 5 at 15:06
  • In particular, something like when someone says "勉強しても、勉強しても、勉強してもこれを分からない" to emphasize they can't understand something no matter how much they study, if something similar can be done with more than one verb in a sentence – Roy Fuentes Apr 5 at 16:03

As discussed in the comments, you can use ~ても~ても for this:

ダイエットしても、運動しても、食べ過ぎなくても、全然[痩]{や}せない!
Even though I've dieted, exercised, and kept myself from overeating, I still can't lose weight!

You can also use ~たり~たりする, but the meaning is slightly different:

ダイエットしたり、運動したりしても、全然[痩]{や}せない!
Even though I've done all kinds of things like dieting and exercise, I still can't lose weight!

The core difference between these 2 options is that ~ても~ても is usually an exhaustive list of things you've tried (or is intended to resemble an exhaustive list), ~たり~たりする is intended to refer to examples of things you've done and is not intended to be taken as exhaustive. As a result, IMO, ~ても~ても comes off more whiney than ~たり~たり; the connotation with the first one being "I've tried everything!", the second being "I've tried a bunch of things".

If you really want to emphasize the repetition of the actions of eating right and then exercising as maybe say in a regime, you could use the V1てはV2 pattern, which 大辞林 describes as:

④ 繰り返される動作・作用について、前件と後件とを結ぶ。 「寄せ-返す浜の白波」 「ころんでは起き、ころんでは起きて…」

I'm going to assume you mean by eating right to mean mostly the amount as opposed to having a healthy (健康) well balanced diet. So then you could say

適度な食事をしては運動する。けれども全然痩せない。

You can repeat it to even further emphasize the repetition:

適度な食事をしては運動し、また適度な食事をしては運動する。けれども全然痩せない。

In more casual language though, you might instead say

適度な食事と運動をしているのに、全然痩せないんだ。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.