If not, is there a structure that will grammatically allow for that? Like "I eat right, exercise, stay consistent about it, and yet I've lost no weight in weeks!"

Are you familiar with the ~たり... して method of listing items?
    – ajsmart
    Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 13:00
  • A refresher on its function would be greatly appreciated Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 13:08
  • There are two questions here: (1) can you use the て-form several times and (2) is this what you need in your example? Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 15:06
  • In particular, something like when someone says "勉強しても、勉強しても、勉強してもこれを分からない" to emphasize they can't understand something no matter how much they study, if something similar can be done with more than one verb in a sentence Commented Apr 5, 2019 at 16:03

2 Answers 2

As discussed in the comments, you can use ~ても~ても for this:

ダイエットしても、運動しても、食べ過ぎなくても、全然[痩]{や}せない!
Even though I've dieted, exercised, and kept myself from overeating, I still can't lose weight!

You can also use ~たり~たりする, but the meaning is slightly different:

ダイエットしたり、運動したりしても、全然[痩]{や}せない!
Even though I've done all kinds of things like dieting and exercise, I still can't lose weight!

The core difference between these 2 options is that ~ても~ても is usually an exhaustive list of things you've tried (or is intended to resemble an exhaustive list), ~たり~たりする is intended to refer to examples of things you've done and is not intended to be taken as exhaustive. As a result, IMO, ~ても~ても comes off more whiney than ~たり~たり; the connotation with the first one being "I've tried everything!", the second being "I've tried a bunch of things".

If you really want to emphasize the repetition of the actions of eating right and then exercising as maybe say in a regime, you could use the V1てはV2 pattern, which 大辞林 describes as:

④ 繰り返される動作・作用について、前件と後件とを結ぶ。 「寄せ-返す浜の白波」 「ころんでは起き、ころんでは起きて…」

I'm going to assume you mean by eating right to mean mostly the amount as opposed to having a healthy (健康) well balanced diet. So then you could say

適度な食事をしては運動する。けれども全然痩せない。

You can repeat it to even further emphasize the repetition:

適度な食事をしては運動し、また適度な食事をしては運動する。けれども全然痩せない。

In more casual language though, you might instead say

適度な食事と運動をしているのに、全然痩せないんだ。

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .