A friend and I are studying and she showed me this book she couldn't tell what the kanji was after ヒト. We were able to decipher two out of 3 kanji 関わる and 見る (unless we're wrong do correct us).

However, we're unable to find the third one after ヒト.

Also, where can I find an online resource that helps you identify cursive Kanji?

enter image description here

Have you tried (1) searching "handwritten kanji recognition", (2) uploading a picture that would be in focus? – Mathieu Bouville Apr 4 at 20:12
  • I can't find a site that lets you upload a picture even after searching with those terms – Tek Apr 4 at 20:43
  • It seems to be 居. I'm not sure enough to make it an answer, though. – Kaskade Apr 4 at 20:47
    we're unable to find the third one... ← ん? You're reading from left to right, starting with 「人が関わらなければ」?? 右から(「どれほど奇天烈、奇々怪々なデキゴトも...」から)読んでます? – Chocolate Apr 4 at 23:20
  • I wasn't trying to read it from left to right, I was just describing it from a numerical position point of view. But yes, from a reading perspective I meant the first kanji after ヒトが – Tek Apr 5 at 3:35

The second one is [視]{み}なければ (from 視る, not 見る), and the third one is 居なければ (from 居る). Note that 視る is a widely recognized reading of みる (but perhaps not an official reading).

• do you have a source for the third one? – Tek Apr 4 at 21:45
    Just my eyes... – istrasci Apr 4 at 21:50
    Here's a page with various forms of 居 moji.tekkai.com/zoom/%E5%B1%85/page.html – Leebo Apr 5 at 1:35
  • @Leebo That is an amazing resource!!! I was looking for something like that! Thank you so much! How did you find this page? – Tek Apr 5 at 3:42
    I googled "居 楷書 行書 草書". 楷書 is standard script. 行書 is semi-cursive. 草書 is cursive. – Leebo Apr 5 at 3:55

Identifying the kanji

Turning things horizontally and adding furigana:

どれほど奇天烈【きてれつ】
  奇々【きき】怪々【かいかい】なデキゴトも

ヒトが居【い】なければ
ヒトが視【み】なければ
ヒトが関【かか】わらなければ

Remember that vertically written Japanese is read from top to bottom, from right to left -- so the character you were stuck on, 居, is the sixth fully-written kanji from the start of the text (excluding the 々 ditto marks).

• I just meant it was the 3rd kanji on the list of kanji we couldn't find, not from a reading point of view. I'm not that new! haha – Tek Apr 5 at 3:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.