I'm trying to make contact with one of my mother's old friends from some time ago, and I don't think she really knows or remembers me -- thus, I'd like to be able to identify myself as, say, Jane Doe's son or daughter.

I've searched all over the place and have found musuko/musume, but from what I'm understanding, it's what parents use to refer to their own (or other people's?) children. Would I be able to apply that term to myself as well?

• Yes. "I'm John, Jane Doe's son" could be ドー・ジェーンの息子のジョンです。 – DXV Apr 4 at 4:15

from what I'm understanding, it's what parents use to refer to their own (or other people's?) children

No, musuko/musume does not have such a restriction. You can safely use musuko/musume when you say something like "I am a son/daughter of Jane Doe" or "Jane Doe had four sons/daughters."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.