I'm having a lot of trouble understanding what this means (bolded):

どこに行くんですか?

あ。。。森。。。ですか。。。 森の中、そこだけは 何も無かったり、有ったり 過去の遺物の集積場 「ここにやがてつまれるのかな?」

What does 何も無かったり、あったり mean?

This is from a song.

Is that the entire sentence? – Aeon Akechi Apr 2 at 21:59
  • Is this from a poem, a song or a tweet? Please include the whole context. Usually a rhetorical expression like this comes with a hint in sentences surrounding it. – naruto Apr 3 at 1:56
  • Apparently the text comes from here japanese.stackexchange.com/q/66398/7810 but I'm not sure what OP means by "Since it's using ~tari, is the fact that it's past tense relevant here?" – broccoli forest Apr 3 at 3:54

This seems to be from 初音ミクの終焉.

It's not past tense (ta-form), but it's tari-form used to list two or more verbs and i-adjectives. So 「何も無かったり、有ったり」 roughly means "sometimes there is nothing, sometimes there is something" or "there may or may not be something".

• Another question: is the speaker doubting whether 過去の遺物の集積場 exists? As in, does the sentence mean, there might/might not be a place where relics of the past accumulate? EDIT: My bad, they're doubting what's in the forest, like you said – kumikan Apr 3 at 17:56
  • @kumichan The subject of ある/ない is 何 ("something"), not 集積場. – naruto Apr 4 at 6:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.