I know that ば is to indicate that "if A happens, B will happen too".

So, today, I've listened a song and it says:

I gotta believe
I don't wanna know 下手な真実なら
I don't wanna know 知らないくらいがいいのに
Why? Why? Why? Why?
気づけば I came too far.

(The mixture of Japanese and English is in the original.) I can't translate the last verse. I don't think that it means "If I realize". So I would like to know what is the meaning of this "気づけば".

• Is the part in inverted commas, over two lines and in two languages the sentence you are trying to understand? – Mathieu Bouville Apr 2 at 17:50
  • Sorry. Now I've edited. The sentence I want to know is "気づけば I came too far" – Kiw Apr 2 at 17:52
  • It would be clearer to provide the original first (with perhaps a bit of context), then your attempt at a translation. – Mathieu Bouville Apr 2 at 17:54
  • Sorry again. Here it is " I don't wanna know heta na shinjitsu nara I don't wanna know shiranai kurai ga ii noni Why? Why? Why? Why? Kizukeba I came too far" From this website kamenrider.fandom.com/wiki/EXCITE – Kiw Apr 2 at 18:01

It is a relatively minor, rhetorical usage of :

㋑ある事態・結果に気づくきっかけとなった動作・作用を表す。…したところが。「ふと見れば西空は夕焼けだった」「思えば悲しい出来事だった」

It has little conditional sense here, just takes sensory verbs before and some fact after, describing that the speaker just have recognized the fact (often belatedly).

気づけば I came too far.
= When I realized it, I had (already) come too far.
= I had come too far before I realized it.

(The tense in the translation above is somewhat confusing. I know... I guess that's what the line actually means.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.