In「命火眩暈」by 杏ノ助, there are the following lines.

頽るる松、 甲羅なき亀 御簾を上げれど けふも宵

The other text is perfectly imitating a Sengoku-period Late Middle Japanese with occasional classical. However, this particular form is unexplicable to me. It look like a modern-language use. I can only understand it as if there was a 四段 verb あげる, which, according to the dictionary, never was; for an actual あぐ, which is 下二, the correct form would be あぐれど. What is happening, a carelessness of author or some unclear intent?

I doubt the lyrics are "perfectly imitating a Sengoku-period Late Middle Japanese". This is not typical 古語 I learned at high school. 見 and 焼て are modern 口語 and were not used in those days. 起きられ should probably be 起きられず. Therefore I would say 上げれど is also a simple mistake made by the author. Another possibility is that the author intentionally mixed the old and modern grammar and made pseudo-古文 for the sake of readability.

• Of course it is hot 古文, but otherwise completely fits my ideas of Sengoku Middle Japanese with possible classic forms. However, a form like this is a mix of Edo-period modern inflection with an ancient ending. – Alexander Z. Apr 1 at 11:39
  • @AlexanderZ Okay, then maybe the author and you know the grammar of 古文 much better than I :) If that's the case, I'm not qualified to answer this question. There are very few people who can make flawless 古文 these days... – naruto Apr 1 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.