In「命火眩暈」by 杏ノ助, there are the following lines.

頽るる松、 甲羅なき亀 御簾を上げれど けふも宵

The other text is perfectly imitating a Sengoku-period Late Middle Japanese with occasional classical. However, this particular form is unexplicable to me. It look like a modern-language use. I can only understand it as if there was a 四段 verb あげる, which, according to the dictionary, never was; for an actual あぐ, which is 下二, the correct form would be あぐれど. What is happening, a carelessness of author or some unclear intent?

1 Answer 1

I doubt the lyrics are "perfectly imitating a Sengoku-period Late Middle Japanese". This is not typical 古語 I learned at high school. 見 and 焼て are modern 口語 and were not used in those days. 起きられ should probably be 起きられず. Therefore I would say 上げれど is also a simple mistake made by the author. Another possibility is that the author intentionally mixed the old and modern grammar and made pseudo-古文 for the sake of readability.

• Of course it is hot 古文, but otherwise completely fits my ideas of Sengoku Middle Japanese with possible classic forms. However, a form like this is a mix of Edo-period modern inflection with an ancient ending. Commented Apr 1, 2019 at 11:39
  • @AlexanderZ Okay, then maybe the author and you know the grammar of 古文 much better than I :) If that's the case, I'm not qualified to answer this question. There are very few people who can make flawless 古文 these days...
    – naruto
    Commented Apr 1, 2019 at 12:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .