How do you say "I have begun studying Japanese"?

I have memorized all of the hiragana characters along with some grammar rules.

I have made sentences on my own but I can't seem to get this right. I have tried this

にほんごべんきょうはじぇました

It sounds weird to me but I'm not completely sure if this is right or wrong

If possible, please write it in Romaji along with hiragana.

Your attempt:

にほんごべんきょうはじぇました

Firstly, I'm assuming はじぇました was a typo for はじました. Secondly, you're missing a few particles. If you studied some grammar you should become familiar at an early stage with the object marking particle を and the possessive particle の.

Using these you could say:

にほんごべんきょうはじめました。
nihongo no benkyou wo hajimemashita.

where the whole of にほんごのべんきょう is the object of the verb はじめました i.e. the thing that was started.

When you see の the thing before の normally describes the thing after. So, what kind of study (べんきょう) is it? It's Japanese study, にほんごのべんきょう. Here べんきょう is used as a noun.

The verb はじめる also attaches to the masu-stem of verbs, so you could use "study" as a verb rather than a noun as we did above. The verb is べんきょうする. The masu-stem of する is し. So "started to study" is べんきょうしはじめました。 The object is now simply the thing we are studying, which is Japanese. So we get:

にほんごべんきょうしはじめました。
nihongo wo benkyou shi-hajimemashita.

• Thank you so much for this explanation. You have cleared a lot of things and fixed my mistakes. – Sound Mar 31 at 19:36
  • I tried typing "I have loved Japanese since a long time" with the proper particles this time and If possible, please review it and tell me if it's correct or not. むかしからにほんごをすきった – Sound Mar 31 at 20:31
    「ずっとまえからにほんごがすきでした」or maybe 「むかしからにほんごがすきでした」とか。。。 すき is a na-adjective, and conjugates to すきだ, すきです, すきな... (btw "since a long time" ってあってんの?) – Chocolate Mar 31 at 23:56
  • Thanks for the reply. I think I typed すきった wrong. I meant すきだった. And is it possible to add the Particle wo/o instead of ga at にほんごを. Since wo/o marks the object which is にほんご which receives the action of the verb すきだった. – Sound Apr 1 at 1:04
  • @Chocolate In this case, it should be "since a long time ago" or "for a long time". – yushi Apr 1 at 6:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.