How do you say "I have begun studying Japanese"?

I have memorized all of the hiragana characters along with some grammar rules.

I have made sentences on my own but I can't seem to get this right. I have tried this

にほんごべんきょうはじぇました

It sounds weird to me but I'm not completely sure if this is right or wrong

If possible, please write it in Romaji along with hiragana.

1 Answer 1

Your attempt:

にほんごべんきょうはじぇました

Firstly, I'm assuming はじぇました was a typo for はじました. Secondly, you're missing a few particles. If you studied some grammar you should become familiar at an early stage with the object marking particle を and the possessive particle の.

Using these you could say:

にほんごべんきょうはじめました。
nihongo no benkyou wo hajimemashita.

where the whole of にほんごのべんきょう is the object of the verb はじめました i.e. the thing that was started.

When you see の the thing before の normally describes the thing after. So, what kind of study (べんきょう) is it? It's Japanese study, にほんごのべんきょう. Here べんきょう is used as a noun.

The verb はじめる also attaches to the masu-stem of verbs, so you could use "study" as a verb rather than a noun as we did above. The verb is べんきょうする. The masu-stem of する is し. So "started to study" is べんきょうしはじめました。 The object is now simply the thing we are studying, which is Japanese. So we get:

にほんごべんきょうしはじめました。
nihongo wo benkyou shi-hajimemashita.

• Thank you so much for this explanation. You have cleared a lot of things and fixed my mistakes.
    – Sound
    Mar 31, 2019 at 19:36
  • I tried typing "I have loved Japanese since a long time" with the proper particles this time and If possible, please review it and tell me if it's correct or not. むかしからにほんごをすきった
    – Sound
    Mar 31, 2019 at 20:31
    「ずっとまえからにほんごがすきでした」or maybe 「むかしからにほんごがすきでした」とか。。。 すき is a na-adjective, and conjugates to すきだ, すきです, すきな... (btw "since a long time" ってあってんの?)
    – Chocolate
    Mar 31, 2019 at 23:56
  • Thanks for the reply. I think I typed すきった wrong. I meant すきだった. And is it possible to add the Particle wo/o instead of ga at にほんごを. Since wo/o marks the object which is にほんご which receives the action of the verb すきだった.
    – Sound
    Apr 1, 2019 at 1:04
  • @Chocolate In this case, it should be "since a long time ago" or "for a long time".
    – yushi
    Apr 1, 2019 at 6:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .