In English I would say something along the line of 'Sorry! I forgot to invite you to the party'. This would be in conversation to a friend. How would this translate to Japanese?

Edit (First post to this site sorry!): My first ideas would be along the line of すみません、私は招待しにわすれました。Through looking in my 'Genki' textbook, this verb conjugation is mainly used for movement, not for the purpose I am using it for. Please could someone explain to me - if it is incorrect - why it is so?

As with many translations in Japanese there are numerous ways to do this:

Written way with "you" specified ( but we don't speak this way ):

パーティーにあなたを招待していないのが残念です

Leaving off "You":

パーティーに招待していないのが残念です

Here, we have used 残念 ( zan nen - too bad or unfortunate )

In the follow we use ごめん なさい ( gomen nasai which is more like "sorry" ):

パーティーに招待するのを忘れたのがごめんなさい

Please forgive me because I forgot to invite (you) to the party

パーティーに招待するのを忘れたので許してください

Very informal among friends ( forgot to invite thing is no good ):

招待するのを忘れたのは良くない

• なんで, 説明なしにこれに反対票を投じた人はばかだ – G-Man Mar 29 at 22:57
    The majority of these sentences are either unnatural or just entirely incorrect... – Darius Jahandarie Mar 29 at 23:19
  • Thank you for your comments. Please elaborate if you are able... – G-Man Mar 29 at 23:28
    1. 「パーティーに招待してないのが残念です」 sounds either odd (as if the subject is some third party, not you), or passive aggressive at best. 2. The grammar 「〜のがごめんなさい」 is never used. 3. 「忘れたので許してください」 is weird because it’s providing the fact that you forgot as the reason they should forgive you, not as what they should forgiving you for. 4. 「〇〇のは良くない」 is simply not a way to apologize or repent for 〇〇. HTH. – Darius Jahandarie Mar 30 at 0:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.