それで何だっけ?
昨日の夜の話
全然覚えてない
「電話が鳴って君からだってわかったら
急に変な気分になったんだ。」

This is an excerpt of lyrics from Indigo la End's song 彼女の相談. I can't figure out what function the や in line 3 performs.

Does anyone have any input?

1 Answer 1

や at the end of a sentence has various meanings, but it's roughly categorized into two.

1. Kansai colloquial copula や (used in place of だ)
  2. True sentence-end/interjectory particle や

Perhaps you'll see Kansai-ben's や more often, and it's discussed in many existing questions here:

But since や in your example comes right after ない, it's a sentence-end particle. (You cannot say ないだ, right?) It has several functions.

1. [after an i-adjective] Exclamation ("Oh", "Wow", sounds childish)

すごいや! Wow, it's great!
    ひどいや! You're so cruel!

2. [after an imperative verb] Persuasion, urging ("Come on", "You", sounds masculine and rough) See: What does the word 「こいや」 mean? and What does the sentence ending particle や mean?

飲めや。 Drink it.
    死ねや! You, die!

3. [after an animate noun] Vocative ("Hey", "O", sounds old) See: What does や after someone's name mean exactly?

シンデレラや、舞踏会に行きたいのかい? Cinderella, do you want to go to the ball?

4. [usually after いい or ない] Indifference, giving up, reluctant acceptance ("Oh well", "Meh") See: Meaning of や in 「もうどうだっていいや」 and Help understanding いいやって and いやだなって

それでいいや。 Well, that's okay (if not ideal).
    どうでもいいや。 Whatever. / Let it go. / I don't care.
    もう知らないや。 I don't care about it anymore.
    うーん、わかんないや。 Hmm, I don't know. / I give up.

5. [archaic; after a noun or an old adjective] Deep emotion, exclamation ("O", "Oh", "!", "...", poetic and old, typically seen in haiku) See: What is the function of 「や」 in this sentence? and Translation of うらめしや

古池や蛙飛び込む水の音 (famous haiku)

In your case, や is used in the fourth sense. This や expresses the speaker is not particularly serious about 覚えていない(こと). In the lyrics, the woman is serious, but the guy doesn't even remember what they talked about yesterday.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .