I have come across a sentence which I do not know if I understand correctly.

すべて の コイン を もらえる の です か?

I know that in this sentence the speaker asks if he wins/receives all of the coins, but I am not sure if I understand the structure and logic of it.

So far I know the particle "の" as a marker of possession or like the genitive like in the beginning of the sentence ("all of the coins"). But I did not understand why there is another "の" before "です か". I found out that "の" is also used to nominalize a verb. In this case this seems to be "もらえる の". But in use with "です" I think it is again used as verb. I have doubts if my interpretation is correct, because this seems to be too complicated.

That の has a different usage. It is called the explanatory の. There's a lot about it on this site. Try this link for starters: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/5398/… – user3856370 Mar 25 at 19:36
  • This answers my question, so I think the translation is more appropriate as "so this means I win all of the coins." Thank you! – Maximilian Brtk Mar 26 at 4:55
  • @MaximilianBrtk Aside from your example, you can actually use の + です how you said i.e. この山が今日届いたのです "The pile here is ones we received today." – broccoli forest Mar 26 at 5:17
  • Explanatory の also contracts to ん a lot, especially in speech. So watch out for that, too. – A. Noyd Mar 26 at 7:47
  • Thank you guys a lot for your answers! (: – Maximilian Brtk Mar 26 at 11:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.