I saw this sentence in a show 見覚えあるけど and I got confused with the differences between 見覚えある / 見覚える / 覚える / 思い出す?

I saw this answer that explained the difference between 覚える and 思い出す but not the rest.

You wrote 覚える twice in the title and the body. Did you mean for there to be another word? – user3856370 Mar 24 at 8:16
  • Am i think i ment 覚え, – Or Halimi Mar 26 at 8:15

見覚えある is used when you mention something you have seen before.

この絵、見覚えある。
I have seen this picture before.

Since 見覚え is a noun, there is no verb 見覚える. So the formal form of 見覚えある is 見覚えがある.

Additionally, there is a similar expression: 聞き覚えがある. It is used when you mention something you have heard or listened before.

• Thanks, I also saw that there is 身に覚えがある, its when someone admits on crime right? – Smiled_One Apr 7 at 5:48
    Very close. It is used to mention something you have done or experienced before. It is typically a bad thing, but not restricted to crime. Sometimes it's used to blame someone like the situation of a detective investigating a suspect. Sometimes it's used as rhetoric: みなさんにも身に覚えがあるでしょうが ... – toshim Apr 7 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.