Can anyone think of a "greeting" (older man to younger woman he's never met) that is funny (but not impolite) because it contains mispronunciations of a normal greeting? It would be mimicing a genuine attempt to greet someone but unintentionally saying something else. An example would be if "Are the Shogun's tennis shoes purple?" (in Japanese) was a mispronunciation of a recognizable real Japanese greeting. (I would need an English transliteration of it, if anyone can think of anything, along with Hiragana or Katakana.) Thanks!

Do you have a working example in English? Is it something like saying "hell" when trying to say "hello"? Such a confusion almost never happens in reality, both in English and in Japanese. How realistic does an answer have to be? – naruto Mar 22 at 3:12
    How about saying "Washing Machine" instead of もしもし when you answer the phone? It really works, nobody notices ! – kandyman Mar 22 at 14:00
  • It doesn't occur much in English, but I am thinking about a phrase perhaps added on to a "hello." "Hello, it's nice to meet you." "Hi, how are you today?" It will be an in-person greeting, not on the phone. Not sure saying hello like I was on the phone would really be funny, because it might be interpreted as an actual mistake rather than making fun of a mistake. – GregJ Mar 22 at 18:16
  • @kandyman If I understand this question correctly, it should be noticeable. You try to say もしもし but ended up saying something else, and the listener must notice it and laugh. That's a difficult restriction because greetings don't have to be pronounced correctly... – naruto Mar 23 at 12:13
    How about おはようじゃがいもす instead of おはようございます? – kandyman Mar 23 at 12:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.