How to translate 'She got him bitten by the dog'?

Can I translate it as: 彼女は彼に犬に噛まれさせた?

Also, how should I translate 'She got him bitten on the hand by the dog'?

Can I translate it as: 彼女は彼に犬に手を噛まれさせた?

I am a native speaker of Japanese but not of English. So my English may not be natural but I hope to be helpful.

If you translate directly, it would be 彼女は彼が犬に噛まれるようにした。 In this sentence 彼女(=she) is the subject and ようにした(=made) is verb.

• Thank you so much! Now I realize 〜させ isn't the only way to translate 'make'. 〜ようにする can serve more complicated situations. I would also like to ask, does this sentence make sense at all: 彼女は彼に犬に噛まれさせた? Is it possible to make a sentence with 噛まれさせた? (I mean any sentence.) – Jo H Mar 20 at 14:58
    My pleasure! 噛まれされた is not grammatically correct because れ cannot connect with された. As another example, 騙された is correct but 騙されさせた is incorrect. – suzuki Mar 20 at 15:18
  • そうですか、分かりました^_^ – Jo H Mar 21 at 3:37

"She made him bitten by the dog" is meaning She is the reason why he got bitten by the dog.

So it would be 彼は彼女のせいで犬に噛まれた。

彼女のせい = Because of her

Thank you so much! But what about a direct translation without reinterpreting the original sentence? – Jo H Mar 20 at 13:03
    @JoH The original isn’t grammatical or meaningful, so you have to interpret it as something else to understand and translate it. – snailboat Mar 20 at 14:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.