I came across a sentence that said:

[死]{し}に[物狂]{ものぐる}いになれる[環境]{かんきょう}が[相応]{ふさわ}しい

but I don't understand what he means by saying "死に物狂い", an environment where he can struggle to the death or to make him desperate?

• From dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/99511/meaning/m0u 死ぬことも恐れないでがんばること – Ringil Mar 19 at 20:35
  • I'm afraid i still don't understand – Lernie Mar 19 at 21:09
    What is the context? What is happening before the sentence 「死に物狂いになれる環境が相応しい」is mentioned? Judging by the sentence alone, we can only guess for an accurate meaning. For example, I can imagine a general and his men. The sentence can mean a situation (環境 can mean "situation" depending on context) where the general is deliberately creating a desperate situation to force his men to become stronger fighters if they wish to survive. – DXV Mar 20 at 2:13

I am a native speaker of Japanese but not of English. So my English may not be natural but I hope to be helpful.

Your understanding is right.

死に物狂いになれる環境=an enviorment where he can struggle to the death or to make him desperate

As a side note, 死に物狂い's definition is 死ぬことも恐れないでがんばること。(=to work hard even not being afraid of death even if you can die)(quoted from goo Japanese-to-Japanese dictionary)

e.g. 彼は死に物狂いになって戦った。(= He fought, not being afraid of death)

彼は死に物狂いになって戦った He fought, not being afraid of death <-- "fought like hell" とか "fought desperately" とかのほうが近いような気が... – Chocolate Apr 1 at 12:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.