The sentence in question: きっかけは、ことし配信された動画配信大手ネットフリックスの番組。

For full context: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20190314/k10011847731000.html?utm_int=news_contents_tokushu_004

My attempt at translation: "The start, it was this years program of netflix, the big videostreaming company."

The problem is that I dont really know whether I connected ことし correctly or not. The boom started this year and it was because of netflix, that much I already know. But I'm still a bit uncertain because ことし is very distant from 番組 itself, positionwise at least, although it is in the direct vicinity of the phrase modifying 番組.

Also, 配信された動画配信 confuses me。動画配信 itself already contains the distribution of information. But then 配信された is used to express that it was distributed. It feels redundant and if I translate 配信された動画配信大手ネットフリックスの番組 in isolation it doesnt make much sense to me either: "the program of the big video streaming company netflix which distributed."

This ことし is an adverb that modifies the phrase right after it, 配信された. Read 動画配信大手 as "a large movie streaming company". X大手 is a way to say "big X company." For example, Toyota is a 自動車製造大手. 動画配信大手 is in apposition to ネットフリックス.

ことし配信された番組
a program (which was) delivered/streamed this year

ことし配信されたネットフリックスの番組
a Netflix's program which was delivered this year
a program delivered this year by Netflix

ことし配信された動画配信大手ネットフリックスの番組
a program delivered this year by Netflix, a large movie distributing company

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.