I was glancing at some old manuscripts from the Heian period (左経記 pg. 10) when I saw the following: 左経記 pg. 10

I know that typically 々 means to repeat the previous kanji, but what does it mean when its following a 、? Also, is there a reason there are so many of them in a row like in 々々々應召?

Wild guess, the two in a row stand for 巳及, and the three in row stand for 令召右. – 永劫回帰 Mar 13 at 23:48
    This is not really Classical Japanese, it's Kanbun(漢文), which is really just Classical Chinese(文言文) – sazarando Mar 14 at 0:01
    The「、」is just a generic pause mark - notice how there's no「。」in the entire book, which means「、」would be rendered as either「、」or「。」in a more modern orthography. Also @sazarando JSE doesn't seem to have a tag for kanbun hmm... – droooze Mar 14 at 0:07
  • The forward(part of the 標題 section)is in Classical Japanese though... – sazarando Mar 14 at 0:20
    Making a new tag for kanbun makes sense. I wouldn't say kanbun is "just" Classical Chinese, though. – snailboat Mar 14 at 0:38

「々」is called「同{どう}の字{じ}点{てん}」it is used to repeat 1 previous character.

= 人

When there are multiple 同の字点 it means to repeat 'n' previous characters.

• 已及深更、深更後... =

• 已及深更、々々後...

&

• 令召右大辨、右大辨應召 =
  • 令召右大辨、々々々應召

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.