How would I describe characters as being colourful ?

Would this be fine?:

とうじょうじんびつはいろがおおいです。 

Also when describing a characters growth, would this sentence be fine?:

もじのせいかくはせいちょうするがいいです。

If it helps, I'm trying to say that the characters display good character growth.

Also what is the difference between とうじょうじぶつ and もじ 

• What do you mean by "colorful"? Something like this, or like this, or something entirely different? And could you share the full English sentence that you want to translate? BTW, もじ means character in the sense of "letter". – naruto Mar 11 at 18:01
    @naruto To quote from a dictionary, I think the poster means someone who is Full of interest; lively and exciting. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with their actual skin color/dress/makeup etc. – Ringil Mar 11 at 19:27

The title of the question says "personality", but OP clearly said this "colorful" refers to one's physical color (clothing, hairstyle, etc) in his (deleted) comment. So I'll cover both.

Physically colorful (hairstyle, clothing, body paint, ...)

とうじょうじんびつはいろがおおいです。

Yes this is acceptable except that じんびつ is a typo. It should be じんつ.

登場【とうじょう】人物【じんぶつ】は色【いろ】が多い【おおい】です。

But you could just use a loanword カラフル and say:

登場人物はカラフルです。

This may be fine if there is enough context, but it looks a little confusing because it's ambiguous (one colorful character vs. many characters with different colors). If there are many characters with different colors (like Power Ranger), consider 様々【さまざま】な色【いろ】の登場人物【とうじょうじんぶつ】がいます, which is unambiguous.

Colorful personality

色が多い ("has many colors") does not work here. Please try to rephrase it and find a better word/phrase using a dictionary. ("lively", "vivid", "cheerful", etc)

Lastly, 文字【もじ】 means character in the sense of "letter", "alphabet", etc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.