I'm trying to find a suitable word/phrase in English that will convey the image shown below while also being suitable for a translation of 荒野, as I want to properly convey the image of a.... rather vegetative desert?? (works perfectly as to conveying the image, but I wonder; is it a suitable translation?)

Sentence I am translating:

僕は自分の目に映る、見渡す限りの荒野を見て愕然とした。

https://jisho.org/search/荒野を見て愕然とした has a okay translation; but none of them seem to fit quite 'right' in terms of conveying the image:

enter image description here

Would combining English translations for 荒野 work as a accurate translation, as when I bing image searched "vast deserted plain", most of the images convey the sense of a desert with vegetation. But seeing as how I am combining English definitions for the same word, I now wonder, is that allowed when translating a single word?

EDIT: Would "desert wilderness" work in terms of translation from Japanese to English?

Isn't this more of an English language question? – user3856370 Mar 10 at 19:25
    If you want to describe a desert in California in English, maybe it would be prudent to read up on the typical words used by English sources. See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deserts_of_California – Ringil Mar 10 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.