I have seen this pattern where を is replaced by の in many sentences that use a する verb. I got used to this construction by exposure and it has started to look less clunky and more natural to me, but I would like to know:

1)Is there is an actual difference in meaning, or at least in nuance, between both patterns?

2) Are both options valid in any situation or should I pick only one of them in any particular case?

I naturally would go with:

「姉が私たちを世話してくれた。」

as I understand the structure of the sentence as:

(私たち)を (世話する)(to take care of us)

However, I see the following pattern quite frequently:

(私たちの世話)を (する)(to do the take caring of us)

Now, don't get me wrong, I would never translate this into “to do the take caring of us” but I would translate it as “to take care of us as” well, but hopefully you can see my point this way.

I think that what made it mind blowing for me was that coupling the suru verb as a noun to the previous word (the object, in my example 私たち) somehow “detaches” the verb from the actual subject (姉), but at the end of the day it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Finally, I suspect this is somehow related to the が/の substitution discussed here:

How does the の work in 「日本人の知らない日本語」?

Thank you very much!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.