Take for example the following sentence,

Since I didn't have time, I couldn't go, so I declined the offer.

Here we have two cause–effect statements:

• Since I didn't have time, I couldn't go. (時間がなかったから、行けなかった。)
  • I couldn't go, so I declined the offer. (行けなかったから、申し出を断った。)

Would it be natural to combine the two Japanese sentences and write

時間がなかったから、行けなかったから、申し出を断った。

I don't recall ever a sentence with two からs (or のでs) in such close succession of each other. If I were to change the first から into し, I would get

時間がなかったし、行けなかったから、申し出を断った。

However, this seems to imply

• 時間がなかったから、申し出を断った
  • 行けなかったから、申し出を断った

which is different from what I want to say. What's the most natural way of connecting two cause–effect statements? In English I think this most often takes the form "Since ____, ____, so _____."

"(A caused B) and that in turn caused C."

"(B happened because of A) and that made C happen as a result."

The easiest and safest way to express these ideas without sounding awkward and unnatural would be to not use two conjunctions like in your example sentences above -- から + から、から + ので、ので + ので, etc.

Instead, one could use only a single conjunction and a 連用形{れんようけい} (continuative form) or a te-form.

連用形 and single conjunction:

「時間がなく行けなかったので、お断りした。」

「なく」 is the 連用形 of 「ない」. One of the important roles of 連用形 is to describe a reason/cause, remember?

Te-form + single conjunction:

「時間がなくて行けなかったので、お断りした。」

The te-form can also be used to state a reason/cause.

Please remember that between the two sentences above, the second one using the te-form sounds more casual to the native ear.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.