I'm translating a sentence, and I come across the particle も. I remember learning in my Beginner Japanese class that the particle も can be used to mean "too" in various situations, but that meaning is not applicable here. So then I went to https://jisho.org/search/も, for some possible alternative meanings. The Japanese sentence is

「ここにじっとしていてもしょうがない………か」

I believe a literal, word-by-word translation would be equivalent to the following:

Here at patiently to be (も) it can’t be helped…… I guess.

Adding what I think も means, and then turning the sentence into proper English resulted in the below translation:

"As far as patiently remaining here it can't be helped...... I guess."

My question is, did I use and therefore translate the particle も correctly, despite never learning this function of も in my Japanese classes?

You can't translate the も alone because it is part of an expression.

This expression is Verb in TE form + も which means 'Even if' or 'Even though'. Here is a link that will provide you the way you should use it and some examples (https://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n4-grammar-%E3%81%A6%E3%82%82-temo/). In the sentence you gave, you have the verb する in the continuous form (している) and the ても expression is added as a suffix to している which gives the していても form.

So the translation would give : "Even if he/she is waiting/staying here patiently, we can't help it ... I guess"

I first thought that mo in the above case is a particle due to mistakenly thinking that the する was purposely written in its te-iru-form. And seeing. as Jisho does not have anything on mo being used as a suffix, nor have I yet been taught this in class, its understandable how I failed to recognize what you claim. – Toyu_Frey Mar 10 at 0:48
    It is a particle. – snailcar Mar 10 at 17:51
  • @snailboat so its not a part of the expression, - and therefore a separate entity as a Mo particle - as N Gillian claims? – Toyu_Frey Mar 15 at 21:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.