I came across a sentence that ends with ひとつだけ in a book and searching on jisho gave me zero results (https://jisho.org/search/ひとつだけ); nor did searching for the individual parsing of what I remember from the audio of the VN (i.e. hitotsu--DakE) give me any helpful results that would make sense in context.

しかも、出入り口は錆の浮いた鉄扉がひとつだけ

TDLR: What does the sentence end(?) ひとつだけ mean in the above context and does it have a general meaning when used at the end of a sentence as opposed to being used elsewhere in the sentence?

Edit:

Context: Narrator is describing a unfamiliar room he wakes up in. I think that ひとつだけ in the above context will not work as individual parsings as ひとつ most likely means either the "adverbial noun – just" or the numeric one in the above context that adverbially/numerically describes the 鉄扉 (iron door). The next bit, だけ most likely is a particle ("only") but I don't see how the "only" can affect the 鉄扉 as the ひとつ is already doing that to the "iron door". The only way I can see both affecting 鉄扉 is if ひとつだけ is a qualifier sentence (technically a qualifier phrase) being used in reverse-order.

Try appending です at the end -- does it make more sense now? – psosuna Mar 8 at 16:48
  • @psosuna I think of ひとつだけです but it still does not make sense, as my main issue is that the sentence just, kind of, ends with a particle that Jishio does not confirm to be a sentence-end particle that can also mean the same thing as ひとつ, meaning it could be "only only", "just one", "only one", etc... Maybe I'm overthinking it again. – Toyu_Frey Mar 8 at 16:56
    I think it means 出入り口は錆の浮いた鉄扉がひとつだけある, with ある being omitted. – Sweeper Mar 8 at 20:53
    ^ 「しかも出入口は鉄扉が一つだけある。」って、おかしいと思うんですけど。。「 しかも出入口は 鉄扉(が)一つだけだ 。」ならいいですが。 「もはや食料は、おにぎりが一つだけあった。」がおかしいのと同じで・・・。「もはや食料は、おにぎり(が)一つだけだった。」ならいいですけど。 – Chocolate Mar 9 at 2:18
    はい, I meant to say... しかも出入口は鉄扉が一つだけある sounds strange/unnatural to me. しかも出入口は 鉄扉(が)一つだけだ  would be fine/natural, though.. It's similar to how (or, For the same reason as why(?)) もはや食料は、おにぎりが一つだけあった sounds strange/unnatural. もはや食料は、おにぎり(が)一つだけだった would be fine/natural. (... Sorry, I didn't know how to say がおかしいのと同じで in English.. (T.T) – Chocolate Mar 10 at 5:41

Consider these simpler examples:

• リンゴ2個です。
    The number of apples is two.
  • 参加者3人です。
    The number of participants is three.
  • 「箱の中には何がありますか?」「バナナ2本です。」
    "What is in the box?" "Two bananas."

Although "Apples are two" makes no sense in English, リンゴは2個です is a perfectly valid way to tell the number of things in Japanese. As you already know, the topic marker は is used for things already in the universe of discourse. が is used to introduce a new item into the universe of discourse.

You can use both は and が at the same time:

参加者日本人3人です。
Regarding (the number of) participants, there are three Japanese people.

You can drop です/だ to make a sentence look more compact and/or dramatic (体言止め):

参加者は3人。
(There are) three participants.

You can add だけ (or のみ) to add the meaning of "only".

参加者は3人だけです。
The number of participants is only three.

Combined together, we have something like:

参加者は日本人が3人だけ。
Regarding participants, there are only three Japanese people.

This is exactly how your sentence in question is constructed, too.

• Veery clear as usual, thanks! Is it possible to use existence verbs (ある/いる) in (some of) these sentences? If so, what makes them different from the OP’s sentences? – Darius Jahandarie Mar 13 at 1:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.