Can someone let me know if this is the proper way to say the sentence "Unity in Diversity"? I know that the literal translation would be "Diversity in Unity". Just wanted to know is correct wording and grammar for the sentence.

Thank you

• the word "naka" represents "inside" rather than the word "in" which is used to mean something close to "through" or "by"... probably a better word choice in Japanese would be "de" or "ni", but I'm not sure which sounds more natural, or if there is a better, idiomatic way to express this idea... – ericfromabeno Mar 8 at 11:25
    According to the Motto of the European Union Wikipedia page, the official motto In varietate concordia (in Latin) is equivalent to "Unity in diversity" in English; and the Japanese Wikipedia page 欧州連合 translates it as 多様性における統一 (Tayōsei ni okeru tōitsu). – user27479 Mar 8 at 13:22
    @ericさん ?「で」 or 「に」を使うのってちょっと無理じゃない?(「多様性おける~」なら「に」使えるけど・・・) 「多様性の中の統一」って、いいと思いますけど・・・結構使われてるみたいだし。。。→ google.co.uk/… – Chocolate Mar 8 at 14:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.