I am struggling to understand this sentence’s structure:

宿題を時間内に終わらせられなかった。

I think I get the idea of causative-passive as in “I was being made to finish the homework”. However, I noticed that we have the intransitive verb 終わる and not the transitive 終える. But we also have a direct object 宿題. Unless I am the object in this case? I am really confused.

Would this sentence translate to:
I couldn’t be made to finish the homework in time.
Or to:
I couldn’t be made to be finished with the homework in time.

Also, I can’t think of a way not to add the ‘potential form’ in English. Is there a potential form hidden there somewhere in Japanese?

(ら)れる has both a potential meaning and a passive meaning (along with other two less common meanings). For example, 食べられる means both "to be able to eat" and "to be eaten". In your sentence, れる has a potential meaning.

• 終わる: (simple intransitive verb) "to end"
  • 終わらせる: [causative] "to make something end" (i.e., "to finish something")
  • 終わらせられる: [causative-potential] "can make something end"
  • 終わらせられない: [negative-causative-potential] "cannot make something end"
  • 終わらせられなかっ: [past-negative-causative-potential] "could not make something end"

宿題を時間内に終わらせられなかった。
I could not finish my homework in time.

You can say the same thing using the transitive verb 終える:

宿題を時間内に終えられなかった。
I could not finish my homework in time.

Related: Is there a reason why the passive and the potential form are identical (at least for える/いる verbs)?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.