I came across a situation where I wanted to use a phrase like "flowery language" or "flowery speech", I looked it up and found 美{び}辞{じ} online.

-

I did a little research:

Initially I looked for the root in another dictionary. I found 美{び}辞{じ}麗{れい}句{く}. I asked a Japanese friend and they said they had never heard of this word nor the first part of the word.

I also searched another dictionary and came back with 美{び}文{ぶん} and 華{か}言{げん} as viable options. I'm not sure about 美文 but with 華言 that same friend they had seen or used it before.

Which would be the best way to convey "flowery speech/language" while not becoming to complex for everyday conversation or business talk?

美文体 and 華やかな(言葉) might be suitable alternatives. – BJCUAI Mar 6 at 4:24
    美辞麗句 may indicate "flowery words", but more likely to mean "ear-pleasing" or "fine-sounding". – broccoli forest Mar 6 at 6:29
  • @broccoliforest Oh okay, I see. I guess I might need to clarify my question a little. – ConstantFun Mar 8 at 10:41

I do wonder how old your Japanese friend is, but you do not have to answer.

While 「美辞麗句」 may not be an everyday kind of word, I would imagine that the majority of the adult native speakers would know what it meant.

More informal phrases that carry basically the same meaning as 「美辞麗句」 include:

・「飾{かざ}った言葉」、「飾り立てた言葉」

・「耳触{みみざわ}りの良い(言い回{まわ}し or 文句{もんく})」

・「ごてごてした言葉」

etc.

• She is in her late 20's – ConstantFun Mar 8 at 10:38
  • Would explaining something that is too flowery in a way that it becomes negative yield different words in this case? – ConstantFun Mar 8 at 10:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.