I have translated most of the following sentence on my own, but I am having great difficulty in understanding then translating the ending of どうなの.

教え子の名前ぐらい、もう少し考えたらどうなの

According to nevan king answer at What exactly is "なの" (nano)? ,

The な is only there if you use it after a noun or a na-adjective (きれい, 大変, 非常).

However, as far as I am aware, according to https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/word/en/どう/#je-52734 and based on the context (shown below), the どう here most likely means "the same". Whether どう is a noun or na-adjective is unknown to me; so I can't accurately use What exactly is "なの" (nano)? to help me understand its meaning.

しかし、アインにツヴァイか……。
教え子の名前ぐらい、もう少し考えたらどうなの

TDLR: What does どうなの mean in the above sentence?

• どう here most likely doesn't mean 'the same'. ⇦ Fixed it for you. What other meaning could どう have? (hint: どうですか?) – BJCUAI Mar 5 at 21:49
  • @BJCUAI I am a utter idiot for not remembering the connection that なの has with です and then applying it to my translation. And I remember hearing that どうですか phrase means "How is it?" or variants thereof. – Toyu_Frey Mar 5 at 23:35
  • @ToyuFrey So, going by this realization, do you have a new understanding of what this means? Would you proffer a revised translation of 「もう少し考えたらどうなの?」? – BJCUAI Mar 5 at 23:56

If you have seen 考えてはどうですか before, this 考えたらどうなの is a variation of it. たら is a condition marker, どう is "how", な is the attributive form of the copula, の is "explanatory-no" (or a seek-for-clarification marker as explained here). In general, conditional + どう/如何 + copula + question marker (literally "how is it like if you ~") forms a suggestion/advice. (な)の is optional, but it essentially makes the suggestion stronger by adding a little doubtful tone ("I wonder why you don't ~").

There are many variations, each with a different omission/formality/politeness level.

• お考えになっては如何【いかが】でしょうか? (highly polite)
  • 考えてはどうなのですか?
  • お考えになっては? (everything after a condition marker can be omitted)
  • 考えては如何?
  • 考えたらどう?
  • 考えたらどうなん?
  • 考えたらどっすか?
  • 考えたらどうなのよ?
  • 考えたら?

Related:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.