If it helps at all with the context, I'm going to put down the sentence that comes before the dialogue. The silver-haired man is now listening to the other character's reply, the start of which I am having trouble with understanding.

自分の技術を自慢するかのように、 嬉しそうに話す銀髪の男。

「どうか理解ねがいたい。

What does どうか, or at least the ご part, mean?

closed as off-topic by BJCUAI, Dono, Chocolate Mar 4 at 12:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – BJCUAI, Dono, Chocolate
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You're parsing it wrong. It's どうか・ご理解ねがいたい. – Aeon Akechi Mar 4 at 2:24
  • @AeonAkechi Oh wow, I did not realize that. I'm so used to kanji being separate from hiragana at the front of the kanji I just assumed it was the same. Thanks for the parsing tip. Edit: Seeing as the ご is attached to the 理解, would that make it a honorary prefix? – Toyu_Frey Mar 4 at 2:28
  • Yes, this is that same ご. お and ご are used a lot in similar ways to this in many keigo constructions. – Aeon Akechi Mar 4 at 2:34
    Related? japanese.stackexchange.com/a/47690/9831 お/ご + noun + 願います is a way of politely asking something. We still commonly hear ご確認願います, ご承知願います, お伝え願います, お声がけ願います, etc. – Chocolate Mar 4 at 12:35
  • @Chocolate Yes, that is slightly related, however, AeonAkechi answered my question perfectly. – Toyu_Frey Mar 5 at 19:25

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.