What's the Japanese equivalent of "Mmmm" as in "Mmmm I like that!" or "Mmmm, delicious"?

"Mmmm" used as a tone of appreciation or approbation, NOT of deliberation as in "Mmmm, let me think about that"

What are you even talking about? How is your question censored? I helped make your question clearer and better formatted. Please refer to the Help Center for our question and answer policies.
    – Eddie Kal
    Sep 5, 2021 at 2:34
  • it was perfectly clear. if you don't understand, you probably never will.... cheers
    – user28169
    Sep 6, 2021 at 3:40

1 Answer 1

You can say:

• うーん、素晴らしい! (neutral)
  • んー、素晴らしい! (casual)
  • うーむ、素晴らしい! (pompous)
  • ふーむ、素晴らしい! (pompous)

Note that the actual pronunciations of these う/ふ/む may be different from what you already know. These interjections are often pronounced just like English "mmm" or "hmmm". See: IPA for ふーん/んふふ (pronounced with your mouth closed) and Difference between うーん and ううん

• your top two suggestions are what I was thinking... never come across the other two.... not sure really about the parenthesized observations: neutral "wonderful!'? especially. but food for thought, thank you.
    – user28169
    Mar 5, 2019 at 6:10
  • @jiji_Xx I wanted to say ふーむ sounds like an intelligent old man (like this). うーん does not have such a tone.
    – naruto
    Mar 5, 2019 at 6:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy