I'm translating this book, and the character's full name pops up as " クロウディア=マッキェネン". I managed to translate the first name as Claudia, but I don't know if I should use McCunnen, McCullen, or some other possible translation for her last name, and thusly I am in need for some advice.

• Is this her? phantomrequiemforthephantomanime.fandom.com/wiki/…
    – mamster
    Feb 27, 2019 at 1:50
  • Yes, and no. Phantom Requiem: for the Phantom came out seven years after the book was published, and PR:ftP is unfortunately rife with mistranslations when it comes to character names, so I unfortunately can't use it insofar as accurately spelling translated character names in the novella (which is set in the same universe/storyline).
    – Toyu_Frey
    Feb 27, 2019 at 1:53
  • 「マッキェネン」って言おうとしても「マッケネン」みたいにしかならない・・・
    – chocolate
    Feb 27, 2019 at 2:19
  • @Chocolate 英語に何が ”みたいにしかならない” をイコールか?
    – Toyu_Frey
    Feb 27, 2019 at 3:04
  • "I try to say マッキェネン but I end up sounding like マッケネン" とか。。 or maybe "I can't read マッキェネン without sounding like マッケネン" かな・・
    – chocolate
    Feb 27, 2019 at 3:12

1 Answer 1

Here is a screenshot of the official site of the X360 port (Flash-only):

enter image description here

So she is officially Claudia McCunnen.

ネ always corresponds to the "N" consonant, not "L". Even without this site, we can say McCullen is not really a valid transliteration.

• Apparently I misheard then misremembered her name in my playthrough of the original DVD game a few weeks back, when Scythe (with his surprisingly believable pseudo-German accent) says her last name at the very start of the game. I double checked last night, and it is 100% actually McCunnen, my ears and memory are to blame for the McCullen ha ha.
    – Toyu_Frey
    Feb 27, 2019 at 19:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .