I'm translating this book, and the character's full name pops up as " クロウディア=マッキェネン". I managed to translate the first name as Claudia, but I don't know if I should use McCunnen, McCullen, or some other possible translation for her last name, and thusly I am in need for some advice.

• Yes, and no. Phantom Requiem: for the Phantom came out seven years after the book was published, and PR:ftP is unfortunately rife with mistranslations when it comes to character names, so I unfortunately can't use it insofar as accurately spelling translated character names in the novella (which is set in the same universe/storyline). – Toyu_Frey Feb 27 at 1:53
  • 「マッキェネン」って言おうとしても「マッケネン」みたいにしかならない・・・ – Chocolate Feb 27 at 2:19
  • @Chocolate 英語に何が ”みたいにしかならない” をイコールか? – Toyu_Frey Feb 27 at 3:04
  • "I try to say マッキェネン but I end up sounding like マッケネン" とか。。 or maybe "I can't read マッキェネン without sounding like マッケネン" かな・・ – Chocolate Feb 27 at 3:12

Here is a screenshot of the official site of the X360 port (Flash-only):

enter image description here

So she is officially Claudia McCunnen.

ネ always corresponds to the "N" consonant, not "L". Even without this site, we can say McCullen is not really a valid transliteration.

• Apparently I misheard then misremembered her name in my playthrough of the original DVD game a few weeks back, when Scythe (with his surprisingly believable pseudo-German accent) says her last name at the very start of the game. I double checked last night, and it is 100% actually McCunnen, my ears and memory are to blame for the McCullen ha ha. – Toyu_Frey Feb 27 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.