I'm assuming there's certain punctuation involved in this sentence, but I don't really understand what changes in the process of switching from horizontal to vertical writing.

• In vertical writing, the ー becomes |, and punctuation is right aligned. I can't think of anything else that changes but perhaps others will add to the comments. – G-Cam Feb 26 at 14:14

This sentence has no punctuation. Only ー will flip to a vertical line, the rest stays the same.

• What if i want it to be two vertical columns of text, where do i cut the sentence off? Is a row of "ワンピース" and one of "は実在する" correct? – MarcoThePhoenix Feb 26 at 13:15
  • @MarcoThePhoenix, broadly, yes -- that results in two columns of the same length, as ワンピース / は実在する, five characters each. In terms of writing style, particles often remain attached to their preceding word, so in some ways that looks a little funny with the は starting the second column. However, for the aesthetics of the visual balance, breaking after ワンピース works well. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 26 at 16:46

There is a tool here that could help you out:

http://hinata.la.coocan.jp/tool/tategaki.cgi

enter image description here

• This works for multiple lines as well. – sazarando Feb 26 at 18:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.