Recently I read though the article addressing the question (んだから vs んだ) where it explains the usage of のだから as:

1)話し手も聞き手も知っている事柄に用いられ、「聞き手(あなた)も知ってはいるが、その認識が十分でない」ことを知らせようとする話し手の強い気持ちが入る。

2)後件には、「そういうことだから、~たい、~はずだ、~ほうがいい、~てください」などの、話し手の判断や意志、願望、働きかけなどの表現が来ることが多い。

However, when the author explained the provided exercise,

A:同窓会の仕事頼まれちゃって。
  B:大変なの?
  A:うん。
  B:でも、(a.引き受けたから b.引き受けたんだから)、しっかりやりなさいね。

she wrote such sentence

BはAが同窓会の仕事を頼まれたことを知り、その事実(事情)を踏まえて、頑張るように励ましているのですから、b「引き受けたんだから」が適切になります。

I thought this bold のですから is merely a formal version of んだから at once. But after deeper thinking, I found the sentence following のですから is not the writer's intent, wish, or request. Rather, it is an objective description. Thus, I draw the conclusion that the usage of のですから is different than listed above.

How should I use のですから if it is not as simply as a formal version of んだから?

(By the phrase formal version I mean the corresponding 丁寧語.)

• The thing following is やりなさい.... – Ringil Feb 25 at 18:57
  • I think an objective description is a firmly believed decision or opinion. In other words, It's a strong version of the case ~ほうがいい. – mmtootmm Feb 26 at 19:01

でも、引き受けたんだからしっかりやりなさいね

This is not an objective description. やりなさい is a form of command. This is the same if you convert it into 丁寧語.

でも、引き受けたのですから、しっかりやって下さい

EDIT: Same thing with 頑張るように励ましているのですから

励ましているのですからbが適切になります
励ましているんだからbが適切だ

Both have the same meaning.

• I mean the のですから in "BはAが同窓会の仕事を頼まれたことを知り、その事実(事情)を踏まえて、頑張るように励ましている のですから 、b「引き受けたんだから」が適切になります" – NoNames Mar 4 at 14:50
  • @NoNames: Added edit. HTH – Enno Shioji Mar 6 at 6:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.