I am having difficulty understanding this sentence. A comparison is being made to the effect that as the cruel feeling flowed out I washed the sea water out of the pants. But I am not sure about this. I understand that the だけ is the equivalent of ほど. But the sentence remains unclear to me.

そうすればしただけ、リエを泣かせた昼間の残酷な気持ちが流れ出ていくかのように、私はできるだけ丁寧に海水パンツを洗った.

This ~ば~だけ is almost the same as the ~ば~ほど construction meaning "the more ~(, the more ~)".

This そうすれば and した refer to something mentioned in the latter half of the sentence, namely 丁寧に海水パンツを洗う. 海水パンツ (commonly abbreviated as 海パン) is a single phrase meaning swim shorts.

そうすればしただけ、リエを泣かせた昼間の残酷な気持ちが流れ出ていくかのように、私はできるだけ丁寧に海水パンツを洗った。
I washed my swim shorts as carefully as possible, thinking the more I washed it, the more my cruel feelings during the day that had made Rie cry would flow out of it.

• Thank you very much for your help. I was wondering whether you think another possible translation of this sentence might be: "By washing the swim shorts as carefully as possible, I thought the cruel feeling .... would flow out of them" I ask this because the Jisho dictionary gives a secondary translation of だけ as "as“ (e.g. as soon as, as much as"? Or would this distort the meaning? Thank you again. – Robert Feb 25 at 15:07
  • @Robert Yes I think that's a fine translation, if not the most literal. – naruto Feb 26 at 3:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.