After missing an appointment, which would be more appropriate for asking for forgiveness or apologizing?

ごめんなさい でした

or

本当にごめんね。ほんとうに ごめんね

In particular, considering the difference between the two, which would be better to use for a 先生?

Have you looked at ごめんなさい threads: japanese.stackexchange.com/… ? – Mathieu Bouville Feb 17 at 18:57
  • The question is not quite clear to me: did you miss the appointment, or will you miss it? – Mathieu Bouville Feb 17 at 19:01
  • I have seen a few threads containing the use of apology. The context is for an apology, even though I gave notice ahead of time that I was not able to make the appointment. I want to make sure the polite form combined with tense is accurate. – 日本へ Feb 17 at 19:08
    What is the "tense form"? – istrasci Feb 17 at 20:14
    ^ past が抜けてるとか...?Polite form of apology with past tense form? とか・・ – Chocolate Feb 18 at 0:38

In this context, the best is:

申{もう}し訳{わけ}ありませんでした。 I'm very sorry (lit. 'there was no excuse').

If it’s in a less formal setting, すみませんでした would work as well. – Halfway Dillitante Feb 18 at 4:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.