Translators say:

あくまで means: doggedly、insistently、persistently、stubbornly、to the bitter end、to the end、to the last、to the utmost

一応 means: tentatively、for the time being、in outline、just in case、once、one time、so far as it goes

I couldn’t understand how to solve this puzzle

• 'Translators says...' . Which translator(s)? If you're using a dictionary, is there another definition of あくまで that you didn't include? – BJCUAI Feb 17 at 18:35
  • You provide 2 pieces from said puzzle. Have you tried to connect them? how? what was the result? – Mathieu Bouville Feb 17 at 18:54
  • @user27280 if あく and まで separated; 開く (to open) 悪 (evil) 灰汁(scum,lye, harsh taste) 厭く (to tire, to loose interest) – Alyona Feb 17 at 21:54
  • @MathieuBouville if I could connect them I wouldn’t ask for help – Alyona Feb 17 at 21:55
  • Let me rephrase. Is there another definition of 「あくまで」(taken as a fixed expression) that you didn't include? ...also, no answer yet regarding first question... – BJCUAI Feb 17 at 22:04

It's very hard to give a correct translation without any context, but あくまで一応ですけどね usually means something like "You know, this is just for making sure", "Well, I know this is not mandatory/critical", "I'm suggesting this merely as a backup, after all", "I don't have a strong opinion, though", etc., depending on what 一応 is actually referring to.

あくまで is a difficult expression, in this context it's closer to "just" and/or "after all". Basically it's emphasizing the meaning of 一応. See: Meaning of あくまで in あくまで私個人の意見です

• Previous one was : 送受信を司るICカードを抜いて起動したのか機転が利くな – Alyona Feb 18 at 9:12
  • @Alyona Still inconclusive to me, but maybe this 一応 can mean something like "It's merely a quick/tentative fix." – naruto Feb 18 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.