I'm trying to figure out how to say "Maybe it's just because ____, but..." in Japanese, but I'm not sure how to place 'just because' in its own clause that way.

If I'm not mistaken, the expression '____という理由だけで' roughly translates to 'just because ____'. However, since I've only ever seen it used as part of a sentence about something else, like '友達がその本を推薦したという理由だけで読んだ', I can't tell whether the で in it acts as a particle, or the te-form of the copula.

Obviously, this is a problem when I'm trying to use the expression as a clause to add が to in my sentence. Does anyone know the proper way to do so?

• 「という理由だけで」isn't wrong phrase at all, but it's commonly used as 「とういうだけで」so you might be able to find more information this way. – user32966 Feb 17 at 6:37

The use of で here fits the second Wiktionary definition:

with, by, using: indicating the means by or with which something happens

The で here attaches to 理由, rather than だけ. 'Via' and 'per', and 'for' could also be suitable translations given the right context.

〇〇という理由で & 〇〇というわけで For that reason; on the grounds of _____.

I assume you want to add が to mean 'but'. If you show the specific sentence that you have in mind and attempt your own translation a fruitful answer may emerge.

• Thanks for the answer! The thing you said about attaching to 理由 gave me an idea: if i wanted to just say 'there is a reason', i would use ある, i.e. 理由がある. So I googled 'という理由だけである', and sure enough, it seems to be in use. I think that's probably the translation I'm looking for! – AlphaModder Feb 17 at 7:28
  • @AlphaModder Glad I could help ;) – BJCUAI Feb 17 at 7:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.