It has been suggested in a comment here: How is しかたない an opinion about a product feature? that しかたない might be a characteristically Japanese response to a question (that a Western person might never give).

Is this a valid observation? If so, what would a Japanese person mean when replying in this manner to a market research question about a product?

In the context of your other post, I think that it's not a peculiarly Japanese response. I would think of it in that context as an expression of the feeling "there's nothing I can do about it".

However, I also think that in Japanese culture, it's more common than in English-speaking culture to express feelings of "there's nothing I/we/you/anyone can do about it".

In English-speaking culture (please let me know if you agree), a person who often expresses such feelings of some kind of "helplessness" is likely to be looked down upon as not being motivated, self-empowered, etc. It seems to me, in Japanese culture this is not the case and expressions like this are more likely to elicit understanding, fellow-feeling and respect for a persons humility.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.