I couldn't find the answer to this.

Sometimes when I'm on the subway in Japan when getting close to the next stop in some trains it can be heard オレンジは右側です, not sure if it's オレンジ though. Meaning the exit is on the right or left side, any clue if it's saying オレンジ or anything else? If オレンジ is being said, why orange?

closed as off-topic by l'électeur, BJCUAI, Blavius, Dono, Chocolate Feb 17 at 9:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This question was caused by a simple spelling mistake, misreading, or typographical error. While similar questions may be on-topic here, this one was resolved in a manner unlikely to help future readers. For more information, see our meta discussion on "typo questions"." – l'électeur, BJCUAI, Blavius, Dono, Chocolate
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I can confirm that there is a specific recording used on some trains (山手線 at least IIRC) that truly sounds like オレンジ (or オレンチ, which is also amusing). It might be interesting to post a seperate question with a link to audio, asking why it sounds like that (presumably only to us non-native speakers...). – Darius Jahandarie Feb 17 at 9:18

They are probably saying:

お出口{でぐち}は右側です

Meaning, of course, the exit is on the right.

• They not, some subways says that, but other says *オレンジ or something similar. Google "オレンジは右側です" and you will see some sites with that phrase, of course, everything in Japanese so I couldn't catch everything – MatayoshiMariano Feb 17 at 1:15
    LOL It seems I'm not the only one, look at this tweet – MatayoshiMariano Feb 17 at 1:18
    That tweet confirms what Blavius is saying - check out this link in the comments - irorio.jp/jpn_manatee/20170419/396865 – whyp Feb 17 at 1:22
  • Gotcha! LOL, sometimes it really sounds like オレンジ instead of お出口 – MatayoshiMariano Feb 17 at 1:26

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.