I'm translating a song from 池森秀一 DEEN and I came across this sentence:

生きてゆきたい 今日より明日へ

And I got confused because my translation was 'I want to keep living, from today to/towards tomorrow'.

I know より can be used as since and than depending on context. I checked other translation from a Japanese friend and he said that the correct trans would be:

But I want to live on, more for tomorrow than today.

Can you help me understand why my translation is wrong?

I think it is probably according to the feeling with the language and the context because both translations are grammatically good (ejje.weblio.jp/content/%E3%82%88%E3%82%8A). With the previous lines of the song, maybe your friend determined this translation was the more natural one. – N Gillain Feb 14 '19 at 1:11
  • Can you tell the name of the song? – Lyonish Feb 14 '19 at 2:52
  • Sure. 「ひとりじゃない」by DEEN. It is the ending for Dragon Ball GT You can watch it here (0:25) – Chrollo Feb 14 '19 at 3:08
  • It's "Carpe diem." – user20428 Feb 17 '19 at 2:46

This 今日より明日へ implies "toward the future". I think "more for tomorrow than today" can imply more it than "from today to tomorrow". "from today to tomorrow" implies just a short future time, doesn't it? It would be translated as 今日から明日へ.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.