I'm reading イン. ザ. プール, where I found the following clause in one of its lines:

身体の不調を訴え連日通いつめる和雄

I roughly translated it to "Kazuo who strictly complains about his bad health on a daily basis."

What I don't understand is 「訴え連日通いつめる

1: I feel like there are 3 words here and not just 1: 訴え、連日、通い, if that's the case, why there is no particles in between them?

2: If I understand correctly, つめる is modifying 身体の不調, but if that is the case, what is the function of 訴え連日通い here? Is it working like an adverb and modifying つめる?

You can parse it as...

{身体の不調を訴え}{連日通いつめる}和雄

和雄 does two actions: 体の不調を訴える "complains about health problem / says he doesn't feel well" and 連日通いつめる "visits (somewhere) on consecutive days / every day".

訴え here is the continuative form (連用形) of the verb 訴える. 連用形 can connect verb phrases or clauses, like the て form.
The phrase can be rephrased as 「身体の不調を訴え、連日~~」, using the て form.

連日 is a noun, and can function adverbially, like 毎日, 今日, 来年 etc.
eg 「毎日、学校に通っています。」「連日働きづめです。」

通いつめる, "pay frequent visits", is a compound verb consisting of 通う (visit) + 詰める (do ~~ continuously, frequently, completely, thoroughly, etc.)

I believe the lack of comma was throwing me off, if it was 身体の不調を訴え、連日通いつめる和雄 I would have no problem. Is it common to have continuative forms without comma after that? Thanks a lot! – Felipe Oliveira Feb 12 at 2:41
    @FelipeOliveira そうですね、 yes, I think it's pretty common. I think it's more common in formal writing... たぶん。 – Chocolate Feb 12 at 3:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.