In Chapter 11 of the Genki textbook, it's stated that に can be used to indicate the role you want something to play. The example sentence given was:

お土産絵葉書を買いました。

However, I am a bit confused as I was unable to find this particular usage of the に particle elsewhere. Could someone please clarify this issue for me?

Also, I was under the impression that the で particle is used to give context to things. So is it possible to replace に with で in the example sentence above?

I was unable to find this particular usage of the に particle elsewhere.

Maybe you could try a monolingual dictionary...? For example, 明鏡国語辞典 says:

に 🈩〘格助〙
➊㋖資格や見立て、名目などを表す。…として。 [...] 「本を[枕]{まくら}する」「お土産菓子をもらう」「お礼ひとこと」

This に can usually be rephrased as として. It can usually be translated to "as~" or "for~".
本を枕にする -- use a book as a pillow
お土産に菓子をもらう -- given sweets as a souvenir/gift
お礼にひとこと -- a word as expression of gratitude -> say something to show one's gratitude
So.. as your textbook says, the に is used to indicate the role one wants something to play: one makes 本 play the role of 枕, 菓子 the role of 土産, and ひとこと the role of お礼.

Or maybe you could try プログレッシブ和英中辞典:

7 〔…として〕as; for
親切にしてもらったお礼 (の印) 彼らを招待した
He invited them 「as a token of his gratitude for [in return for] their kindness.
誕生祝い時計をもらった
He was given a watch for his birthday.

I was under the impression that the で particle is used to give context to things. So is it possible to replace に with で in the example sentence above?

Grammatically speaking, I think 「お土産/プレゼント/お礼~」 is the correct usage, and using に sounds more correct to me (of course..), but I occasionally hear/say things like 「お土産XXをもらった」「これ、誕生日のプレゼントもらった」 etc. in casual conversation... (I don't hear/say 「お礼ひとこと」「XXをYYのお礼差し上げる」, though...) So.. I think it'd be probably okay to say 「お土産・プレゼントで~~あげた・もらった」 in casual speech but you should use ~~に in formal speech, writing, exams, etc.  

• You say に usually can be rephrased as として. When would be a case where you cant? – Ringil Feb 12 at 13:10
  • @Ringil 「本を枕する」とか・・?( 「本を枕として使う」would be fine, though.)「お礼にひとこと(述べる、添える etc)」「お礼としてひとこと」 mean the same thing but I think 「お礼に~」 sounds far more natural. – Chocolate Feb 12 at 14:24
  • 『本を枕とする』? Anyways, I was just hoping you would make it clear that the final example would one case where it would be unusual to use として. – Ringil Feb 12 at 15:14
  • @Rin あ、「本を枕とする」でもいいんですよね。~に in all the examples here has the same meaning as ~として. I think ~に would sound more natural, depending on the context.. – Chocolate Feb 12 at 16:23
  • @HING Word order can be quite flexible. (It would depend on the context). お土産に絵葉書を買いました、絵葉書をお土産に買いました both sound good. – Chocolate Feb 12 at 16:25

に cannot be replaced by で in the above sentence.

It is really hard to pin down the exact translation of に because it has many, many usages. As a rule of thumb though, に emphasizes the goal / end point of an action. You could formulate it as purpose in your case. Another similar example would be:

• 父の遺産は家のリフォームに使いたいと思います。I want to use my father's heritage in order to renovate my house (goal)

On the other hand, で means "to use" and / or emphasizes the usage of something as a means to an end. For instance:

• 2時間で走りきった。I "used" two hours to run the entire distance
  • お金で買いました。I used money to buy it.

As you can see from the last example, using で in お土産ハガキを買いました sounds like you used souvenirs in order to buy postcards...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.