From what I understood, both 速さ{はやさ} and 速度{そくど} means "speed". Some say that they are synonyms (just like speed and velocity in English), but I guess there is a nuance between them, isn't it ?

速さ{はやさ} comes from the adjective 速い{はやい}, like other adjectives (長い{ながい} : 長さ{ながさ}, 深い{ふかい} : 深さ{ふかさ}...), while 速度{そくど} is the combination of two kanjis : 速{そく} (speed), 度{ど}(degree).

Can I guess anything based on the words etymology, or is the nuance between them is more subtle ?

I would say there is no difference, at least in everyday language. Maybe 速さ has a slightly more casual feel to it... at least I see more myself using 速さ than 速度 in a daily conversation.

Now, 速度 is velocity and 速さ speed. That means that in the field of physics, they are indeed different, namely:

• velocity is a vector, including not only a value but a direction
  • speed is a scalar quantity (the magnitude of the velocity)

edit: just confirmed on wikipedia

日常語としての速度と速さはほとんど区別なく使われている [...] 対して、物理学においては、速さ(英語: speed)と速度(velocity)を厳密に区別する

As a single word, Nicolas Couvrat is true.
But when including combination with 速い/遅い, there is a difference.

速さ includes the meaning of 'fast' (<=> 遅さ), whereas 速度 is neutral.
So we say 速度が遅い, but we don't say 速さが遅い。

Example:

1.「見てよ! この電車の速さ!」= "Look! How fast this train moves!"

2.「見てよ! この電車の速度!」= "Look! This train's speed!"

This "速度" of 2. can mean slow (like talking about legacy train in rural area). If you want to explicitly say slow

「見てよ! この電車の遅さ!」= "Look! How slow this train moves!"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.