In my understanding, the part of speech of a compound word is determined by its ultimate morpheme. (複合語の品詞は、後にくる語(形態素)の品詞によって定まります)

蒸す(V)+暑い(Adj) → 蒸し暑い(Adj)

持つ(V)+物(N)  → 持ち物(N)

and a verb in its -ず form can be roughly treated as an adverb.

食事をたいらげた     ate up a meal

食事を残らずたいらげた  ate up a meal completely (without any bit of remain)

Here comes the question. I find compound words ending with verb-ず have a variety of 接続, none of them are used as an adverb, e.g.

知らずしらずのうちに (resembles noun+の+うち)

役立たずな人 (resembles 形容動詞+な+人)

恥知らず者   (resembles イ形容詞+者)

How should I understand such a variety of 接続? and when to use which 接続?

p.s.

1. I saw the subtitle "役立たず共め" in an anime, saw there is an example sentence "恥知らずなことをする" in my dictionary, and therefore I came up this question.
  2. I found compound words ending with verb-ず pretty versatile; it can be an adverb (in 日本人を恥知らず呼ばわりする外国人を批判する), a na-adjective (in 恥知らずな噓をつく), or a noun I guess? (in 馬鹿で恥知らずの人間になる) These three sentences are found on the Internet.
    it can be an adverb (in 日本人を恥知らず呼ばわりする外国人を批判する) -- 恥知らず is a noun here.. 「Noun+呼ばわり」です.. eg 「泥棒呼ばわり」「犯罪者呼ばわり」「嘘つき呼ばわり」「人殺し呼ばわり」... By the way, 嘘つき, 人殺し, 年寄り, 金持ち etc. are 名詞 that derived from 「XX+連用形」, too, just like 役立たず, 恥知らず, 行方知れず etc. – Chocolate Feb 9 at 6:02

If you already know the masu-stem of some verbs can act as a noun or na-/no-adjective, you can think these ず-words are almost the same except that negation is included as part of the word. That is to say, there are a few lexicalized ず-words that work as nouns or na-/no-adjectives. Just like non-negative ones, many ず-words have unpredictable meanings, and you have to learn them individually. 役立たず and 恥知らず are typical examples, and they can safely work as nouns, na-adjectives and no-adjectives.

Other examples:

• 向こう見ず reckless
  • 親知らず wisdom tooth​
  • 医者要らず keeping doctor away
  • 水入らず en famille; private
  • 鳴かず飛ばず obscure; inactive; unsuccessful
  • 飲まず食わず without eating and drinking
  • 開かず (as in 開かずの間 locked/sealed room)
  • 寝ず (as in 寝ずの番 night watch)

This type of ず is integrated in a fossilized expression, and you cannot arbitrarily add or remove it. For example, 恥知り and 向こう見 mean nothing. (Well, 飲み食い happens to mean something a bit different...) New words are very rarely coined using this grammar, but おにぎらず is a fairly new buzzword made from おにぎり.

• "the masu-stem (連用形) of some verbs can act as a noun or na-/no-adjective," It doesn't provide 連用形 of a verb used as a na-adjective in the link. Would you kindly provide some examples? – NoNames Feb 9 at 12:11
    @NoNames Yes, "妹思いな兄", "物知りな先生", "何かと物入りな時期", "暑がりな人", "楽しみな旅行" and so on. お洒落な人 also falls into this category if we track the etymology. – naruto Feb 9 at 14:22

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.