Original sentence is this:

Everyone at a meeting talked for 5 minutes at a time

And I got confused because I want to put 「分間」 there but I'm not sure if it works well with 「ずつ」 and vice versa. Also, I'm not sure if 「間」 actually has to be there. I know that 「間」 means period of time, so I presume that it has a place to be there but then again I'm not sure.

みんなはミーティングで5分ずつ話しました。

みんなはミーティングで5分ずつ話しました。

Is the 1st option ok, or can it work both ways?

Both are grammatically correct.

I think ...分ずつ is way more common that ...分間ずつ though.

This idea is supported by a search on this corpus: http://www.kotonoha.gr.jp/shonagon/search_form, where 「分ずつ」returns many more results than「分間ずつ」.

I also feel like 話していました might be more appropriate with 5分ずつ because 分間 implies "over a period of time" in this context.

So, 分 is a special case because it is not prone to ambiguity. On the other hand, 1時間 could not be replaced by 1時 in this context. Right? – Mathieu Bouville Feb 9 at 8:31
  • Oh yes, very right. 1時 would mean 1 o'clock. 時間 is an unbound 熟語, really it's own word. 分間 needs to be bound to a number to make any sense. Comparing 分間 with 瞬間 or 期間, it seems to me like 分間 is really the odd one out. – sazarando Feb 9 at 15:12

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.