I know that 玉子 is read "tamago". I also know that 醤油 is read "shouyu". I can imagine that 醤玉子 refers to the boiled egg that is submerged in soy sauce. How do you read it though? I assume it's read "shoutamago".

I tried entering it into jisho.org, and it says "hishio tamago". This translation, however, is not a direct translation of 醤玉子. It's more of a translation of 醤 and 玉子 stuck together.

In English, we can make words up and its meaning can be inferred from the parts. An example would be soy-egg. That only works, since there's only one way to spell and pronounce soy and egg. I can infer the meaning of 醤玉子, which I hope I understood correctly, but I am not quite sure how to go about reading these agglomerations.

• I have a feeling that this is one pronunciation that Japanese customers might ask about too. What is your source? – BJCUAI Feb 8 at 8:59
  • @user27280 I've since lost the source image containing 醤玉子, but this image has 肉醤油. Similarly, jisho.org cannot directly translate 肉醤油, as a whole, but it can translate 肉 and 醤油 as "niku" and "shouyu". Would it be pronounced "nikushouyu"? – user2738698 Feb 8 at 9:34
  • Usually it would be assumed to be にくじょうゆ (using rendaku), but にくしょうゆ is not unacceptable (try typing it into IME). I don't think that I can answer your original question about 醤玉子 with much certainty without knowing more. – BJCUAI Feb 8 at 10:19
  • I don't see anything on Jisho to suggest that 醤玉子 should be read ひしおたまご. It simply does not appear in the database, so the two items were displayed side-by-side, but with no indication that it recognized it as a word. – Leebo Feb 8 at 11:19
    Are you sure you saw just 醤玉子 and not, say, XO醤玉子? – droooze Feb 8 at 11:28

醤玉子 is not a word people know, which means no one knows its correct meaning or reading. If this is not your own made-up word, then you probably misread something, as droooze pointed out. Unsurprisingly, you cannot get anything useful if you put an entirely new word/phrase to Google or a dictionary site.

Also note that 醤 and 醤油 mean two very difficult things, just as "soy" and "soy sauce" are different in English. 醤 by itself means something like "(spicy/salty) fermented paste", and it appears in the names of various Asian seasoning materials. Generally speaking, 醤 is read "ジャン" if it's part of the name of foreign paste (e.g., 豆板醤 = トウバンジャン, 苦椒醬 = コチュジャン).

If I somehow had to assume 醤玉子 is a correct word and had to guess its meaning, I would probably think it's a rare non-Japanese dish which has nothing to do with 醤油. This is because, as a native speaker, I know Japanese better than any other languages and I know 醤玉子 is not a traditional Japanese dish. As for the reading, it's difficult to guess, but しょうたまご, ひしおたまご and じゃんたまご seem equally possible to me.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.