I helped someone online translate something from English into Japanese and they responded with:

ありがとうございます!

イラスト素敵です 👌😊" (<* i do illustrations)

I want to say "thank you very much!" but idk if I should just reply with "ありがとうございます" or it would be rude to just say the same thing and/or to not address their "thank you" first with something like "いつでもどうぞ" and then a "thank you" or would that still be... weird? (I did tell them my Japanese is not very good beforehand)

Would it be ok if I reply with:

どういたしまして

もありがとうございます

What would be the best way to reply in this situation?

もありがとうございます <- What did you mean by the も ? – Chocolate Feb 7 at 9:52
  • "and thank you" or "thank you too" (?) forgive me im still learning – Biso Feb 7 at 19:44
  • も is only attached to the end of nouns. You can't begin a sentence with it. – Blavius Feb 8 at 2:47
  • In situations like these I like to use どういたしまして。恐縮です。(which as far as I know sounds a bit over-the-top but always causes a good reaction smh) – Florian Baierl Feb 8 at 14:24

I think you could first address their thank you and then thank them for their compliment, like..

いえいえ、どういたしまして。😊

イラスト、お褒めいただきありがとうございます。
or イラスト、褒めてくださってありがとうございます。

If you just wrote ありがとうございます after どういたしまして, it would be unclear what you're thanking for, so I suggest adding イラスト、お褒めいただき or 褒めてくださって... which is the polite way (honorific/humble form) of saying 褒めてもらって or 褒めてくれて. Alternatively I think you could say イラスト、気に入ってくださって嬉しいです。

• You mean どういたしまして not どうしたしまして right? – Ringil Feb 8 at 12:57
  • ^ うええ。。打ち間違ったぁ・・ありがとうございます! – Chocolate Feb 8 at 13:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.