I have read in several sources that it is grammatically incorrect to use は (topic particle) in relative clauses. However, I am almost certain that I have seen constructions like the following:

学生ではない男子は今自分で遊んでいる。

Is this technically incorrect? Should it be 学生でない? Or is this は not considered the same particle that is forbidden in relative clauses?

"it is grammatically incorrect to use は (topic particle) in relative clauses." <-- You can say 「学生でない人」「安全でない場所」「私に解けない問題」「論理的にあり得ること」「日本で手に入らない商品」「日本で簡単に手に入るもの」etc.. but maybe it's not what your sources are talking about.. cos these は's are the contrastive particle は, rather than the topic particle は.. – Chocolate Feb 6 at 17:20
    You can show a counter-example of an abstract noun: 私は空は青いことを知っている, whose は is topical / thematic. For tangible nouns, however, it certainly doesn't seem compatible to thematic は. – user4092 Feb 7 at 9:25

I think that using ではない in relative clauses is correct because ではない as a whole is the negative conjugation of です, and not a set of particles.

That said, I'm aware that the construction Aではない (meaning not to be A) comes from Aでは ない (the quality of A does not exist) in a more literal sense, but I'd look to the verb as a unit rather to parsing it down to particles. At the end of the day, when we say 学生ではない男子 we mean the boys who are not students.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.