There are three variations on this phrase that I can find in Google, and I'm not sure whether all three are really used, or how frequently. But I am confused about the differences between them.

大したことではない

I believe this means "(It's) not a big deal." Ok, I understand.

大したことない

Isn't this different from the first sentence? It seems to mean "There aren't any particularly big problems."

大したことない

This one could go either way.

Your understanding of the first two variations is correct. The sound quite formal, maybe something like:

1. "This is nothing important, really"
  2. "There is nothing important, really"

Last variation is more colloquial, maybe something like:

1. "No big deal"
  • But I'm wondering about the last variation, is it like が (or は) is omitted before ない, meaning 大した is the subject of ない? Or could it be that では is omitted (although I don't think this is allowed), meaning 大した is the predicate? – ignorantFid Feb 19 at 5:39
  • It is like が or は is omitted before ない. "ない" is the short, informal version of "ありません". On the other hand, the informal version of "ではありません" / "ではない" would be "じゃない" (or even a more rough sounding "じゃねえ"). "大したことじゃねえんだから気にすんなよ!" – wip Feb 19 at 13:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.